Cleveland Ohio Content Marketing
If you ask a digital marketer how to grow your business online, chances are you’ll hear the buzzwords “content marketing.” Yes, it’s trendy right now… but it’s NOT new. And while not a “silver bullet”, content marketing will work just as well today as it did over a decade ago, when people used AOL dial-up and dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Jokes aside, content marketing is a must-have tactic if you want to grow your business online. Without it, you won’t be able to compete. And it’s also a great investment, because the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.
Of course, you need to understand what it is, and what it can do for you. Here’s a quick introduction: (For more information, download our handy whitepaper “4 Must-Haves to Turn Your Website into a Lead Generation Machine.”)
What is Content Marketing?
The Content Marketing Institute defines content marketing as “a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
In short, content marketing uses text-based (articles, whitepapers, case studies, etc.), image based (infographics, photographs, etc.), and media-based content (videos, podcasts, webcasts, apps, etc.) to attract potential customers and turn them into buyers.
What Are Common Content Marketing Goals?
1. Educate your customers – Today’s consumers are more skeptical of marketing than any point in the past. They also prefer to educate themselves online before making a purchase. So, instead of marketing at them, generate content that helps them solve a problem they have, they will remember your business. Remember: usefulness is the key.
2. Build a tribe – People are social by nature, and the internet gives us a place where we can find and connect with like-minded people. Platforms and apps where your target audience can share content is a great way to build loyalty and build your brand.
3. Demonstrate your expertise – People tend to trust experts, so it’s logical to leverage content marketing to showcase your expertise. If you get creative, your message will be more memorable – just like the Will It Blend videos that positioned BlendTec® as the world’s most advanced blender.
4. Improve search engine rankings – Each piece of content you generate creates an opportunity to rank in the search engine for new keywords. Those search results get clicked, which introduces new people to your brand.
5. Encourage loyalty – Exclusive content and community-based content encourages brand loyalty. And once people have opted in to your email list, for example, you can offer rewards and other perks while staying top-of-mind.
6. Convince and convert – Well-written content, especially on ecommerce sites, drives potential customers through the conversion funnel. On B2B websites, content like whitepapers generate qualified leads while guiding users through the sales cycle.
7. Develops your brand – The content you publish online helps build and reinforce your brand identity. The images you choose, the words you write and the videos you post – any piece of your content may be someone’s first interaction with your brand. Your content should make a good impression and give users an understanding of who you are, what you do and what you represent.
In summary, content marketing is an important tactic; one that should be included in every digital marketing plan. If you aren’t sure how to develop a content marketing strategy, or need help implementing it, there are companies – like Proximity Marketing – that can help. We help develop and deliver the right content, to the right customer, at the right time, in the right place.
For more information on our Cleveland Ohio content marketing services: